Subject: [Leica] Epson RD-1
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed Oct 13 07:48:42 2004

> I've been using a digital back for my Leica-R, Novoflex, Contax, Canon,
> Tamron, Sigma and Pentax M42 lenses for a couple of days now.**
> You can buy five of them (below 900 euros already,with an 18-55 lens)
> plus the appropriate adapters now for the price of an R9 digiback.

Comparing a Digital Rebel to the R9+DMR is like comparing a Canon QL17 to an
M3.  Price isn't what sells Leicas.  Performance is.  When I bought my 400mm
f/6.8 Telyt I could have bought TEN Spiratone 400mm f/6.3 lenses instead - a
marginally faster lens adaptable to ANY slr.  The performance of the Telyt -
handling, optical quality, construction and durability - is what interests
me.  I'm not knocking the D-Reb or the QL17 or the Spiratone but to consider
any of them a 100% substitute for Leica equipment is a bit short-sighted,
even if you can buy them by the case.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com