Subject: [Leica] More Anime Convention Photos
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man)
Date: Sun Oct 10 03:16:38 2004

http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3020
This is the Masquerade and the Friday set. I have ~100 photos from Saturday
to be processed and uploaded later.

Let me stress again that for most "cosplayers," they love to see their
photos. So they don't mind even really glaring photo errors (e.g. trees
growing out of their ears, or lens distortion make them appear to have a
giant nose, or they suddenly acquiring green tints w/o green makeup etc.),
as long as they are in the shots. In other words, there are redundant
photos or some that are definitely decidedly not too good. Having said
that, I really like how some of them came out, especially on the Friday
set. I was playing with different composition technique of cutting off
portion of the body to add drama, but my wife just told me that whenever I
do that, it's almost always the right side that I chopped off. Oh well.
live and learn.

In the Masquerade set with the Studio flash, I didn't have time to fully
explore different lighting techniques or try the single lighting technique
that Mark Rabiner suggested. For the group shots, it definitely will not
work well anyway. Anycase, I did move the lights from my usual boring two
lights at 45 degrees setup and moved the lights further back with the right
light being stronger and the left one more like 30 degree and closer but
less powerful to try to eliminate some back shadows. In some shots, I think
it works reasonably well, but in some others, it fails spectacularly with a
big ugly shadow right in the middle. Again, since the cosplayers want to
see themselves, I left even those up. I would have not put them up
otherwise. Generally, I am happier with these studio light shots than the
ones I took a year ago (it was the first time I used the lights in this
sort of situation). Last year I got some burnt out with the white costumes,
and this year looks like at least I got that mostly under control.

Camera: M7, 35/1.4 ASPH, 50/2, and a small number with 90/2AA. I bought the
Tri-Elmar to travel around Japan but I found that it is just as easy to
swap lens or move around. I do martial arts and I notice that after a shoot
of 2-3 hours my legs would be killing me because I would quickly switch to
difference stances to get different angles and distances from the subject :-)

As usual, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee) ([Leica] More Anime Convention Photos)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] More Anime Convention Photos)
Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] More Anime Convention Photos)