Subject: [Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Oct 8 09:05:32 2004

 Summicron1@aol.com wrote:
> what to do?
>>well, you COULD shoot film, I suppose, and leave the computer at home.
>>Learn to use fewer lenses (more lenses increases the odds of having the
>>wrong lens on the camera) and learn to take pictures with what you have,
>>instead of always feeling that you need to always be ready for every
>>option of every image.Learn to make the equipment you do have fit the
>>situation. Trust your abilities instead of letting equipment be a
>>crutch.<<<<<<<<<<

Jim Laurel responded:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane

> ...And when you find yourself back in Redmond meeting with your editor at
> MSN after explaining why you couldn't send your dispatches because you
> only brought one computer and it failed, or that your only digital SLR
> body jammed and you didn't have a backup, or that you couldn't get the
> wide interior shot in that mosque he wanted because you didn't have a
> 16-35, you'll be hearing that he won't require your services for his next
> feature.<<<<<<<<>

Hi Jim,
First of all  Summicron1@aol.com obviously isn't a professional photographer
who's had to shoot around the world. Certainly under the conditions as
applied these days.

I mean if he's talking about amateurs that's fine. However! Some of us are
working professional photojournalist and his comments are absolutely
ludicrous telling us what to do when we earn our living at it. Particularly
with someone who's travelled the world on working assignments for 50 years!

Nor does it sound like he's ever worked for photo editors " WHO DO NOT
ACCEPT ANY EXCUSES FOR NOT HAVING PICTURES! "  Unless you've been killed!
Even then they'll ask were his "cameras re-covered?" They want the last
films you shot! Hell that makes for a more exciting Obit!

ted

Message from jplaurel at nwlink.com (Jim Laurel) ([Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane)