Subject: [Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Thu Oct 7 17:37:26 2004

what to do?

well, you COULD shoot film, I suppose, and leave the computer at home. Learn
to use fewer lenses (more lenses increases the odds of having the wrong lens
on the camera) and learn to take pictures with what you have, instead of
always
feeling that you need to always be ready for every option of every image.
Learn to make the equipment you do have fit the situation. Trust your
abilities
instead of letting equipment be a crutch.

It is really amazing what that asthmatic german came up with so many moons
ago, too bad we've forgotten. Also amazing how good your pictures get when
you
quit depending on equipment to do the job and start using the computer
lodged
between your ears.

c trentelman
standard travel kit: CL and four lenses (15 to 90) in a shoulder bag.
Olympus
XA as backup.

In a message dated 10/7/04 3:33:55 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> ? So here's the situation for a pro or avid amateur shooting
> digital:
>
> 1) Your EOS1Ds or EOS1D MkII + 16-35, 28-70, 70-200 and flash (no back
> up body - a conservative kit for a pro photographer doing an editorial
> shoot nowadays) now exceed many international carriers' carry on limits
> of 8kg, even though it all fits in a LowePro Mini Trekker, which fits
> underneath the seat in front of you.
> 2) Because you're shooting digital, you need a laptop.? And no, a
> digital wallet by itself is not good enough, because without a laptop,
> you have no way of reviewing your images daily and making sure that a
> big frigging hair hasn't lodged itself on your sensor.? Your standard
> soft Eagle Creek briefcase with a 15" Powerbook, plus AC adapter,
> FlashTrax (+ its adapter), plus various wires and adapters required, by
> itself is at the 8kg limit set by many intl airlines.
> 3) You can't lock things into hard cases any more, because TSA and
> other security agencies simply cut your locks off
> 4) Using the TSA locks is useless, because all the thieves that work at
> the airports will have the means to open them.
> 5) Forget about FedEx.? You're flying into Vientianne...or Rangoon...or
> Windhoek...or <insert developing country here>
>
> Domestic US is another matter.? It is reasonable to live within 18kg
> for carry-ons.? But for those of us who fly international often, 8kg is
> getting to be the standard.
>
> So, Simon, just what in the hell are we supposed to do?
>
> --Jim

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane)
Reply from jplaurel at nwlink.com (Jim Laurel) ([Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane)