Subject: [Leica] Re: bags on planes, now going minimal
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Thu Oct 7 19:36:55 2004

tina,

the original post described a huge kit and called it a "conservative" outfit
for serious amateur or professional. I begged to differ, although i have
every
confidence that there are people like yourself who need all that, and more.
My standard travel kit is designed to be easily carried on planes and allow
me
to handle 90 percent of all situations, but i freely admit I don't seek out
ALL possible situations, being just a serious amateur and more street
shooter
than anything else. I always carry spare batteries, but they last a very
long
time in those cameras. My shoulder bag holds a half dozen rolls of film, the
rest goes into the carry on bag i'm also allowed. I took 30 rolls to italy
for
two weeks and damn near shot it all.

I also have every confidence that there are many, many people on this list
hauling around far more than they need. You are the exception, I am sure you
need it all for your work, and I do not envy you at all.

On the other hand, I see what the photogs at my newspaper carry around, and
also see that the result the achieve is not all that much better -- in fact
less so in many cases -- than the work turned in 20 years ago by people
carrying a hell of a lot less. Our former photo editor Dave Labelle, now
somewhere
else but quite famous in photojournalism circles, did marvelous work with a
Nikon FM, as I recall, and one or two lenses. He had a marvelous eye.

I cannot get away from the idea that too many people are
equipment-dependent,
mostly because the photojournalism I see seems to be less good, not more. I
have not seen yours, so do not include you in this.

That asthamtic german didn't have to haul it on a plane, but he DID have to
haul a camera on long hikes in the German mountains. The pocketable Leica
was
his answer. He turned in some pretty good work, too.

If i were working professionally (which, thank goodness, I am not, and never
hope to) I'd hope it was on my terms so I wouldn't be required to haul all
that bumpf you have to (which is why I don't shoot professionally). I'd
almost
certainly take the M2 or 3 instead of the CL, or perhaps in addition to it,
or
maybe even go nuts and take the R3 outfit.

But I also have every confidence that, if sent on a trip for a month and all
I had to shoot with was my little Olympus XA, that I could turn in a very
creditable performance, lack of macro shots not withstanding.   I used it
alone in
my son's recent wedding and, while the pro we hired kicked my butt on the
formal shots, I was far and away superior on the candids. I had to use the
XA
because I was in the wedding party and they wouldn't let me carry anything
that
showed.

thanks, travel safely

charles trentelman