Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: jplaurel at nwlink.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Fri Oct 8 01:54:17 2004

This is another really good point.  I always sync so that I pass
through the metal detector at the same time my stuff goes into the
scanner and there is no one ahead of me in the metal detector.  The
goal being to be on the other side of the metal detector when my things
emerge.  You cannot trust the security people.  I suspect they are the
cause of much of the theft going on at airports today.  Often what
happens is that the metal detector person is motioning me to pass
through before my things have entered the scanner.  I politely motion
to my things on the belt and let them know that I am waiting for them
to enter the scanner.  I make it very clear, especially at security
checks in developing countries, that I am watching my stuff carefully.
When the crowd is thick, I do not take my eyes off the gear.  I hardly
acknowledge the security personnel, except to respond to their
instructions.  I want them to know I am watching.

However, recently, in Manila, I noticed that the new procedure is to
separate you from your belongings, which area searched where you can't
watch.

Another good point Greg brings up is to have your stuff organized and
prepared for the screening.  Be proactive in showing them whatever they
want to see.  Act confident and cooperative.  Make sure your appearance
and dress are neat and tidy.  The guy traveling in a grey business suit
and carrying a nice leather briefcase gets alot less hassle than the
scruffy kids with Canadian (no offense to you or your fine country,
Ted) flags sewn to their rucksacks.

--Jim