Subject: [Leica] 75mm 1.4 - Any pics?
From: bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C)
Date: Thu Oct 7 15:56:57 2004

As I mentioned earlier, I use this lens at f2.8.  I don't think I have ever
used it for a keeper at anything wider.  Maybe this is sacreligious (sp?),
but I just like the look of the lens at 2.8, I don't really care about
shooting it where the DOF is 2cm, and everything in the background is a
complete mess.  A newer Voigtlander 75 f2.5 probably makes much more
economic as well as ergonomic sense, but I honestly doubt that I'd get the
same look as I do with the Leica lens.

I have a Minolta 85/1.4 which appears every bit as sharp as the Leica 75,
and this lens I have actually used at 1.4 (and very effectively), but at
all apertures, the photos taken with it just don't have that "look" I get
with the 75.

The 75 is one lens where I believe that Leica would be making a terrible
error by replacing it with an ASPH version.

-dan c.

At 06:30 AM 08-10-04 +0800, Matt Morgan wrote:
>Aquiles,
>
>I bought the 75 because it's a big chunk of beautiful glass and very
>fast, so it was always going to be about low-light situations. But. as
>you illustrate, the focus in these situations is so critical and
>difficult, its easy to waste a lot of opportunities and have regrets on
>missed shots.

[snip]

Replies: Reply from mattmorgan1 at mac.com (Matt Morgan) ([Leica] 75mm 1.4 - Any pics?)
Message from mattmorgan1 at mac.com (Matt Morgan) ([Leica] 75mm 1.4 - Any pics?)