Subject: [Leica] Leica R lens question - 180mm
From: k.lai at compose.com.hk (Ken Lai)
Date: Wed Oct 6 19:05:52 2004

Hi Chris,

I have both the elmarit and summicron APO.

Both are amazingly sharp lenses but in my opinion I prefer the
summicron as it renders the out of focus area in a more pleasant way
than the elmarit at 2.8 or above. It also gives a slightly more 3D look
than the elmarit.

I also use the plain screen which makes it easier to focus than the
split screen.

Having said that the elmarit is much lighter and I use it more often
than the summicron. But if you are shooting mostly low light stuff, you
will need the summicron.

Regards,
Ken

> On Oct 6, 2004, at 1:28 PM, Christopher Williams wrote:
>
>> Newbie to the R8 system. Anyone use either the 180/2.8 or 180/2 APO
>> lens?
>> Any thoughts on performances? I need a good fast telephoto for low
>> light,
>> these Catholic churches here are dark!
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Chris Williams