Subject: [Leica] Is there even a future in high end digital?
From: bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C)
Date: Tue Oct 5 06:17:12 2004

I often get into arguements with a friend of mine, where I am forced to
take the side of film even though personally I am going more and more
towards the digital side of things.

It gets worse.   I'll tell him about some new 22 mp back that can fit on my
old Hasselblad, that's it unaffordable right now, but surely I'll be able
to buy one in a few years,  and he looks thoughtful, and asks, more
rhetorically than anything else, why would there be a demand for such
expensive and high quality digital backs?

"Well surely", I replied, "high end commercial studio photographers will
have a need for high resolution images, whether from film or digital for
applications such as glossy product brochures, magazines, etc.".   He
counters with the prediction that as the Internet grows ever more
prevalent, the future of printed brochures, magazines etc., appear bleaker
and bleaker.   Even now, when I drop by my local camera store and ask for
brochures on the latest camera offerings, their reply is to check the
companies websites.

So I am wondering what photographers will require 20 years from now, when
there will be very little printed magazines etc.   What will be required of
photographers whose images will end up being viewed on a LCD or plasma (or
something yet to be invented) screen?

Maybe if we're still on the LUG in 20 years, we'll be regretting the demise
of some faithful old digital chip company the same way some of now do with
companies like Ilford, Bronica etc.

-dan c.

Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Hoot!)
Message from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Hoot!)