Subject: [Leica] A Knight in Shining Armour is moved to defend the Maiden of Solms
From: richard at ogdenonline.co.uk (Richard Ogden)
Date: Tue Oct 5 01:45:18 2004

Speaking personally, I don't have any problem with what I have always
considered to be the world's best camera being fine-tuned to my personal
preferences whilst continuing to be a most elegant and beautiful camera.

Leica has always been an aspirational product for those of us who don't
earn our living from photography, and the high cost only serves to
reinforce that perception. That was as true in the 1950s as it is today.
There are any number of cheaper alternatives which, for 99.999999% of
the pictures I make produce results which are indistinguishable. But I
choose to spend my hard-earned money on something which is,
indisputably, a product of the highest quality and performance.

And there are some film dinosaurs, like me, who do not consider digital
image-making to be an advance, but rather something which threatens to
destroy the hobby I have loved for 50 years and which I hope to go on
enjoying. It surprises and disappoints me - a confirmed lurker - to find
that I have to defend film-based photography in many quarters these
days, and that I feel moved to defend Leica cameras on a user list
devoted to them - though 'devoted' certainly doesn't seem to match the
mood of the moment, if you'll excuse the pun!

I do not expect others to share my views nor do I seek to persuade
others: I simply feel the need to express them in the current
climate.

Richard
No archive

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] A Knight in Shining Armour is moved to defend the Maiden ofSolms)