Subject: [Leica] Photokina _ The lens on Tom's RD1
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Tue Oct 5 05:59:10 2004

You need a shutter in a sense to capture a still image from a CCD.  A
mechanical shutter is necessary for interlaced scan CCDs since the
pixels aren't read simultaneously.  The pixels of a progressive scan
CCD can be read simultaneously to provide image capture in a very
short time interval so they don't require a mechanical shutter except
- they have, effectively, an electronic shutter.  If they have a
mechanical shutter in a camera with a progressive scan CCD it may be
there just to protect the CCD from environmental contamination during
lens changes - I'm thinking high-end digital SLRs.

Glenn Stauffer