Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Sat Oct 2 17:31:40 2004

My news on this,straight from the Zeiss rep at the Photokina, if
anything got lost in translation from German it's my fault. "for
internal reasons at Zeiss we are talking about a price of 1500 or
sometimes 1800 euros selling price, we will be able to give you a more
exact price close to the release date"
Hasselblad rep, "we expect it may be well under 2000 euros" and
"probably just over half the price of a Leica M7" this would correspond
to Stephen Gandys info of around 60% of the cost of the Leica.
The Ringfoto rep spoke of the R2A/R3A as both being priced lower than
the present R2.
As all the people were questioned, and answered, in German this means
the price includes 16%
value added tax (VAT)

The camera is, according to Zeiss information, a true Zeiss product,
designed in Germany around the technology supplied by Cosina and
conceived some time in late 2002, Zeiss planned a long base RF from the
start, which explains the main differences between the form of the ZI
and Voigtl?nder models. The rangefinder construction was modified to
automatically display the frames and to use a frame selector lever too.
The RF base forced the designers to relocate the rewind crank in the
baseplate.The dimensions are, except for a couple of millimeters
difference in the depth of the camera, identical to those of the Leica
M6. The weight is
500g, about 60g less than an M6. TTL-flash was not planned for this
model, the finish will definitely be
chrome and possibly, depending on the success of the camera extended to
include black paint. the body is
an aluminium/magnesium alloy casting, a material which lends itself to
paint jobs but can cause difficulties in a plating process.

The trademark Zeiss Ikon was re-activated and re-registered by
Carl Zeiss around 1 year ago (see European Patent Office files), the
Ikon trademark having been used previously by Ikon AG a manufacturer of
locks and security equipment. Whether Ikon AG had to give the go ahead
on this? the Zeiss rep just didn't know.

As far as I can tell and remember this is pretty much all the detailed
info that the Photokina staff
at RingFoto, Zeiss, Hasselblad and Voigtl?nder gave me. All direct, no
hedging, no rumours and no
"I'm not really allowed to tell you this but...."
The Zeiss staff were honestly excited and very confident about their new
system, and convinced that it is a match for anything Leica may come up
with.
In an aside a Zeiss bod told me  "If it IS worse than the Leica we have the
foundation upon which we can build and improve. What are Leica going to
improve if we're better?"
Douglas