Subject: [Leica] ceasarean
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Fri Oct 1 10:02:18 2004

Ted Grant wrote:

>Hi Jonathan,
>Well done mon ami, a fine set of story telling photographs. Having shot this
>kind of birthing situation a few times it's not the easiest to do depending
>on the medical folks allowing one the space to make the exposures and get
>the right angles.

Well even though I can nudge my way in to get the good angles etc, I
can't slow 'em down when they are working... man is that hard ... the
real tricky thing is predicting when everything is going to stop for a
moment so you can get a reasonably sharp image ... I can't remember but
those were probably shot with my Summicron 50 wide open at 1/15 sec., I
think that's what the "decisive moment" really is -- that moment when
the movement stops long enough to snap a photo :-)

>Obviously you got along with them well and produced an amazing story telling
>set of pictures. I'm sure when this child reaches an understanding age of
>birthing he or she will be quite surprised at the beginning battle into the
>cold cruel world! ;-)

My 5 year old daughter was watching while I was working on these in
Photoshop ... afterwards she sheepishly said "Daddy, is it alright if I
don't have children." ... I am thinking that *yes* perhaps these are an
excellent means of birth control :-))

>I photographed two of my grandchildren for the first medical book, "This is
>Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler, also used in "Doctors' Work". So
>today they're teen agers and they get a great kick out of showing new
>friends... "hey this is me when I was born!" :-)

That work is a real inspiration ... now I've taken many many thousands
of photos intraop (with a Leica R4 attached to our Wild/Leica
microscope) but mostly we are looking to document anatomy, and when I
shoot my own operations, I stop everything and the result is a static
image lacking the motion that is reality and apparent in your book...
your work is an inspiration to look for the art that is present all
around us.

Jonathan

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] ceasarean)