Subject: [Leica] New Zeiss Ikon: they know their target...
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Thu Sep 30 09:20:05 2004

> Sounds a lot like the M5 and CL. While I love my M5, the CL never
> did much for me..., and we know these cameras both "bombed"
> some thirty years ago. Leica is STILL scratching their heads about
> the failure of the M5.
>
> Maybe "101" doesn't apply in the land of Leica usage and ergonomics?
> Just maybe Leica knows its audience better than the LUG does?

well - despite having an odd somewhat cultic fan base, it's pretty obvious
to most people why the M5 bombed. In addition, the CL's still sell like
hotcakes on ebay - even despite their age and mechanical/electrical
quirkiness.

I don't think comparing the Cosina/Zeiss thing is close to a comparison with
the M5/CL. One main reason being Cosina seems to have got it right this time
around... (especially when one of the worlds premier photographers - Lee
Friedlander - comes along saying - don't you just love these Bessa M's?)