Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica donation to students
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Sun Sep 26 23:00:51 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Karen Nakamura wrote:
> All it means is that they'll accept you regardless of finances. The
> financial package, however, may involve a lot more. Usually it
> involves taking out loans, the student working on campus, and the
> parents getting an extra job or leasing a room in their house for more
> money. Most college students are leaving school these days with quite
> onerous debt. This is very unfortunate, in my opinion, because it
> means that less will take jobs working at non-profits or as public
> servants because they can't make ends meet.

This is the main reason why I chose to attend a state university and
work as much as possible. I should graduate with minimal (poss. zero,
as I'll hit the magical age of 24 next year for financial aid
considerations) debt. I was accepted to two west coast liberal arts
colleges, but would have been in deep debt in the end. Good enough to
get in, too much of a slacker in high school to get much in
scholarships or grants.

(anyway, if I hadn't I never would have moved from political science
into fine arts/photography and doomed myself to a lifetime of poverty)

MP

Message from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] RE: Leica donation to students)