Subject: [Leica] Leica donation to students
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun Sep 26 10:42:13 2004

Kit,

First of all, I wasn't talking about elitisiscm (if that word exists).
And I wasn't talking about considering a Leica as a piece of jewelry to be
displayed, not to be used, either. Even if one might suspect that to be the
case, looking at the photo vs postings ratio in this forum ;-).

I was merely stating 2 things:

1) The Leica quality seems to have a price. Even if prices have risen these
last years, it was always an expensive camera. BTW: in rising prices Leica
is not alone: since the euro was introduced, lots of goods have almost
doubled in price, believe it or not.
Expensive stuff is always bought by minorities.

2) So if Leica continues to produce such cameras, it is bound to only target
a small niche of customers. They could make less expensive cameras, but I'm
not sure if they would be able to combine that with the quality they provide
now. Can't have best of both worlds, I'm afraid.
Also, small is relative, ofcourse. Lots of people around that can buy such a
camera, I think. Whether they will is another question.

Finally, is Leica too expensive? I have no clue. But I do think part of
their prices is just "added brand value". But you can't blaim them for that,
can you? After all, they too live in a capitalist world.

Philippe
---