Subject: [Leica] It's the sensor, stupid
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Fri Sep 24 03:14:49 2004

In a message dated 9/23/04 11:17:16 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

<< I can use my best Nikkor lenses on it, or a crappy Sigma zoom used years
ago on a Spotmatic... there is no difference in the results, the sensor
is of such early design that it picks up "Christmas Tree" artifacts when
used outdoors, (trees, railings) with any lens. >>
-------
In digital the sensor is the chokepoint. In film, it's the stock or the
lens,
if you use a quality make or model body. I came late to the digital party,
so
I've never been disappointed in the sensors in my D70 or Oly 5050.
In fact, it was the quality in the 5050 sensor that convinced me that
digital
is an item in the photographic firmament. The number of pixels isn't the
definitive sign of quality. The fast 6MP in the D70 produces large quality
images,
which I seldom need. It starts off at ISO 200 and does its best work there.
The 5050 prefers ISO 100 to show off. Maybe these are just subjective
impressions. That coming full 35mm frame digital M would be something else!

Bob