Subject: [Leica] An Aside Regarding Google
From: leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney)
Date: Thu Sep 23 16:15:42 2004

Well, I found this reference (in Dictionary.com--clearly not the OED, but if
'google' is in the Oxford, we are in trouble!)

--

Google: The World-Wide Web search engine that indexes the greatest number of
web pages - over two billion by

The site's name is apparently derived from "googol", but note the difference
in spelling.

The "Google" spelling is also used in "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
by Douglas Adams, in which one of Deep
Thought's designers asks, "And are you not," said Fook, leaning anxiously
foward, "a greater analyst than the
Googleplex Star Thinker in the Seventh Galaxy of Light and Ingenuity which
can calculate the trajectory of every single
dust particle throughout a five-week Dangrabad Beta sand blizzard?"

--

Okay, then!

Kit