Subject: Fw: [Leica] Black and White C41 Film
From: max_weisenfeld at verizon.net (Max Weisenfeld)
Date: Wed Sep 22 13:23:57 2004

Jim,

 Kodak consumer films:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/543&pq-locale=en_US
 Kodak Pro films:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/blackWhiteIndex.jhtml?id=0.1.18.14.21&lc=en
 BW400CN (and Ilford XP2, for that matter)  are very different critters than
silver films.  The C-41 films, in my experience, yield less contrast and
edge sharpness, and more shadow detail when handled well.  They have a
smooth transition from light to dark that I like for portraits, and often
less grain in low-light (IMHO).   My work is not the best example of the
abilities though.  Take a look at Graham's:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/l10.html  (the T400CN he uses is the
previous version of BW400CN, he must have a big freezer). Max ----- Original
Message -----> From: "Jim Nichols" <nicholsj@edge.net>> To: "Leica Users
Group" <lug@leica-users.org>> Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 12:36 PM>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Black and White C41 Film>>>> Dan,>>>> My experience
with C41 film has been limited to Kodak BW400-2, thecomsumer>> film
available at Wal-Mart.  In some instances, it appears to offer less>>
contrast and more bland images than I recall from my years of using>>
silver-based film.  I was just looking for comments from others abouttheir>>
experiences with this type of film.  I have actually made a few very good>>
images with the film, so my problem may stem more from my technique than>>
from the film.>> I was also curious about the differences in Kodak films of
this type.  Do>> you know of a reference website that explains the various
films and their>> intended uses?>>>> Jim Nichols>>>>>>> [Original
Message]>>> From: Dan Colucci <colucci@thehearth.org>>>> To: Leica Users
Group <lug@leica-users.org>>>> Date: 9/22/2004 7:17:25 AM>>> Subject: RE:
[Leica] Black and White C41 Film>>>>>> James - I have read your comments
twice - what are you saying ?  I find>>> Kodak Portra BW400, used in
contrasty lighting, is just superb with>>> final tonal range and superb
detail...Edge sharpness is lacking, but I>>> enjoy the smoot
h tonality, especially for portraits>>>>>> Dan>>>
www.antiquecameras.net>>>>>>>>>>>> -----Original Message----->>> From:
lug-bounces+colucci=thehearth.org@leica-users.org>>>
[mailto:lug-bounces+colucci=thehearth.org@leica-users.org] On Behalf Of>>>
JAMES NICHOLS>>> Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 1:27 PM>>> To:
LUG@Leica-Users.org>>> Subject: [Leica] Black and White C41 Film>>>>>>
Comparing results with C41 B&W to the results I got with Plus-X, Super>>>
XX, and Tri-X in the 1950s and 60s when I had my own darkroom, I have>>>
been somewhat disappointed.  Though, without a darkroom, it appears to>>> be
the most convenient way to shoot B&W.  However, after pulling the>>> image
below from a cluttered negative taken amid the confusion of a>>> wedding
rehearsal supper, I find that, if I do my job, the film will>>> take care of
itself.  The image shows the bride-to-be, my granddaughter,>>> in a
reflective mood after a busy day, with an even busier day ahead.>>>>>>
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Musings/Bride_to_Be>>>>>> Leica IIIf RD,
Summitar 5cm f/2.0>>> Exposure 1/50 at f/2.8>>> Kodak BW400-2>>>>>>>>> JAMES
NICHOLS>>> nicholsj@edge.net>>>