Subject: [Leica] OT: Safe Storage
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Wed Sep 8 21:04:41 2004

>The safe I purchased has a significant fire proof rateing and
>appears to not have any form of air hole. Is anyone else using one
>of these for safe storage of their photo equipment, if so is
>humidity proofing an issue?

You should call the manufacturer and ask about the fireproofing. Many
document safes use a material that releases moisture during a fire.
This helps keep the temperature of the inside of the safe below
farenheit 911 (or whatever the real flash point of paper is, 212?
darn Michael Moore).

This chemical might release moisture during normal conditions that
might be hazardous to your camera; or during a fire the hot vapor
might be just as bad. Anyway, you should call the safe company.

If it's a totally "dry" system, then just a couple of canisters of
silica gel will keep the innards dry. I like to get the rechargeable
silica in transparent plastic containers that you can recharge by
microwaving for a couple of minutes.

In Japan, I have all my equipment in a giant tupperware box that they
sell expressly for the purpose of keeping moisture out. Inside, I
have several bags of silica gel including sachets that I repurposed
from my kitchen (Japanese flavored nori/seaweed always comes with
some).  Nuking dries them out again.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura