Subject: [Leica] Let's Hold now a discussion of purchasing philosophies
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Sep 2 08:11:52 2004

This thread has drifted into a discussion of philosophies.  In some ways
it is the Wal-Mart versus the little guy, or the price is almost
everything philosophy.

For the expert, low price and timeliness are the major factors in the
purchase.  The expert knows what the object is supposed to do, how to
make it do it, and where to go to solve any difficulties that arise.  It
is also possibly a commodity that is pretty interchangeable.

As long as the expert community remains somewhat small then full service
institutions can continue to exist to serve the normal customer that has
no idea what works for them and has no idea who to talk to for more
information.  Many of this list would be surprised how many people don't
know about B&H or dcresource, stevesdigicams, and other online
resources.

When products become mostly well designed, constructed, and marketed
then price does become a prime motivator.  Gray Tri-X was the same as
any other and so why would you pay $5.49 a roll when you could get it
for $2.19?  An issue is that innovation can make the tried and true not
so true.  We are in an era where many things change in a twelve to
twenty four month cycle.  Energy prices will make all of us reconsider
our transportation choices as well as such mundane matters as the
furnace in our home and payback times for a new, more efficient model.
Our list has and will continue to undergo a huge change in focus as the
digital revolution changes everything about Leica photography.

Less knowledgeable people just assume price is everything, find the
lowest price possible, and scream when the sleazeball vendor turns out
to be a sleazeball after all.  Photo.net is full of people who bought
from Smile or whoever that was 0.02 cheaper.  You do get what you pay
for.

In an era of rapid change, society needs a group that can guide normal
people in choices.  It could be your sister, it could be the local shop
keeper who keeps up to date on the products she sells and give good
advice on what is appropriate to you.

Summarizing this somewhat lengthy ramble, if you find someone who
provides great service, knows the area you are interested in, and is
genuinely useful to you, then support that person.  If it your brother
then buy him lunch once in a while; if it is the local shop, then make
quite a few purchases from that shop as keeping that resource alive is
pretty important to you and others.

0.02
Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com