Subject: [Leica] Printer question WAS the future happened yesterday
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Sep 2 06:40:33 2004

Daniel,

For the most part my response about the R800 applies to the Epson 2200
which goes to 13 inches.  I believe the 2200 is a 4 picolitre droplet
compared to the R800's 1.5 picolitre.  Also, for B&W work on non glossy
surfaces you have to change the ink cartridge of the 2200 to the Matte
Black cartridge and do a head cleaning.  Of course, if you only print on
matte paper then this is not a problem.

I did not go with the 2200 as I felt that Epson would be replacing this
printer in the very near future.  I think that they will replace the
2200 with a machine that adds the second black cart, adds the gloss cart
to eliminate "bronzing", and goes down to the 1.5 picolitre droplet size
for additional smoothness in tonality.  Perhaps they will announce at
Photokina.  My sources are mum, and in fact indicate that there will be
no change as no other manufacturer offers a printer that does what the
fine art market wants: my feeling is that Epson has not been a
conservative company and the change would be pretty easy to do on the
existing chassis.

If you can justify even more money then the Epson 4000 is for you.  It
will print up to 17" wide and has much larger ink carts. All the black
carts are on board so no changing when switching from glossy to matte.
Your ink cost will also go down as the larger carts have a lower cost
per ml of ink.

I believe that Tina has been investigating the 4000 so she might have
more information.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com