Subject: [Leica] Lenses without digital Bodies, Anyone?
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Tue Aug 31 14:44:23 2004

Dave:

You're right about the camera quality.  But, the problem for many is
that the D100 and some of the other newer Nikon digitals won't meter
with the manual focus AI and AIS lenses at all.

I'm given to understand that the most expensive "pro" models enable
aperture and manual metering but not shutter priority or program modes.

Accordingly, there are a number of folks with manual focus lenses who
are waiting, (I think in vain) for digital Nikons which will allow them
to meter with their existing manual focus lenses.

If they have their lenses "chipped" then they could have what they want.
http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

I haven't had any of mine chipped because I'm satisfied for now with my
DCS460, a Nikon N90 mated to a Kodak digital back, which gives me
aperture and manual metering.

Except for the following images, I usually use it indoors with a studio
strobe so it's weight isn't a problem for me.
http://www.hemenway.com/DCS460/

More on the DCS460:
http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9503cs.html

Outdoors I still prefer to use film with my R8... (the APO 100mm macro
Elmarit RULES!), the Rollei 6008i or my 11x14... in part because I don't
have to worry about big archiving hard drives as much.

I used to be very excited about digital cameras but have found that I
would much rather spread several rolls worth of slides onto my big light
table to sort them, than to have to deal with thumbnails on a screen.

If I were a pro, then the processing costs and immediacy of digital
would probably change my mind.

Jim