Subject: Re. [Leica] Conformity in Athens NOW BEING A SHOOTER!
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Mon Aug 30 07:40:49 2004

I guess it comes down to the right tool for you to do your job.

If you can't focus a camera I guess you need pretty good auto focus to be a
sports photographer :^)

A common Friday afternoon beer conversation with the local (and aging) pros
goes like this...

"What did we do before <insert technology of choice>"

Be it auto focusing, metering, outdoor fill flash or a host of other things
we all did manage to do our jobs quite successfully before these things came
along.  We all did these things manually what technology now does for those
who don't know how to do it now.

...and you know what?  There is no evidence that the quality of professional
photography got any better because of it.  But what it did do was remove the
technical aspects (and barriers) for those who could not or not willing to
learn the techniques.  Technique and learned skills get replaced by
technology by those seek to have machines do their work for them or are not
capable of achieving "success" by human means.

Technique is shooting 100 chrome outdoors using a Vivitar 285 for fill flash
with a top speed of 60th flash sync... Walking backwards in a scrum and
manually focusing.

A far cry from my first Nikon F4 and SB28 with its matrix metered, fill
flash and 250th sync.... And it was deadly!

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com

--TRINITY Photographic Workshops--