Subject: [Leica] Riefenstahl ...apolitical alternate view
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue Aug 24 07:07:29 2004

Well written John,

Some people seem to forget that Fr Riefenstahl was a bit of a film star
in her own right, before getting into the production and directing
of films. This was what brought her into contact with Herr Dr.Geobbels,
who was known to be after anything that didn't get up a tree fast enough.
He, apparently, introduced her to AH who was impressed with her work and
commissioned her to do the 1936 Olympic film. In fact
the F?hrer was so impressed that he ordered Dr G. to give her an
absolutely free hand in what she did, particularly film sequences with
"Non-Arian" athletes. She remained under the protective hand of AH,
against the wishes of Goebbels who was the de facto controller of the
UFA fim studios at the time, and went through many of the top female
stars at the time.
If anything could have supported the beginnings of her arrogance, shown
by Riefenstahl to her dying day, I think this was the trigger.
She was definitely USED by the NsDAP, whether she was an "ARDENT NAZI
SUPPORTER" ( grade 2 of the allied classification after WWII)
may be doubted.
I have always found her, in interviews and press articles , to be the
epitome of  intolerable arrogance, egocentric , utterly and immediately
dislikeable in addition to the other attributes which John so plainly
states below.
Her photography of the Nubians for "Stern" Magazine (which also
published the faked Hitler Diaries - Ha Ha , the initials on the front
were A.K
and the idiots idn't notice), managed to dig her out of semi-obscurity
and put her back in the public eye. She always insisted that she was way
above
the political aims of the Nazis and was only interested in Art, she
never once admitted to being in league with their motives.

Her films, when compared with such blatant propaganda as Veit Harlands
"J?d S??", are, IMO, works of art, idealising the dreams of what the
Nazis wished and dreamed Germany to be, but could never be realised by
the horde of corrupt, inept, inadequate and insane leaders holding
absolute power
over the German people .

But since when does advertising give a true view of the actual product ?
- do we blame the agency ?

Douglas