Subject: [Leica] Re: Another reason to hate Canon.
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Aug 22 11:47:50 2004

Matthew:

>Alternately, have there been any plans for fast primes for the smaller
>sensor? To get something comparable to my $250-300 EOS 50/1.4, you've
>got to go to the 35/1.4L at four times the price and quite a bit
>larger.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  The words consumer and prime don't go together
very well these days.  I can't imagine there would be much of a market for
prime lenses that only work with consumer models.

I've been holding out for an affordable full sized sensor.  My price point
is $2k for a camera with a 24x36mm sensor.  What I really dislike about the
1.6x crop factor is what it does to DOF.  The 35/1.4L will have
approximately the same DOF as a 50/2.  It's still a 35mm lens and has the
DOF associated with one.  You're just cropping the image.  You'd need a 35/1
to get the same limited DOF as a 50/1.4 offers.

On the other hand, the 135/2L offers the high shutter speeds of a 200/2 with
an "extra stop" of DOF and without the bulk of a 200/2.  On the telephoto
end, I believe I'll appreciate the advantages of using a crop factor.  :)

I've been slowly building my Canon SLR system.  When it comes to fast-moving
subjects, I grab my 1v without a second thought.  That said, when I look
back at my images, most of the ones I like the most were taken with my M6.
But I have many treasured images that wouldn't have been possible for me to
take with the M6.  I'm glad I have the option.

Of course, if I were shooting digital, I wouldn't be reading and replying to
the LUG right now.  I'd be going through images rather than waiting for my
negatives to dry.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/