Subject: [Leica] Another reason to hate Canon.
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Aug 21 11:18:23 2004

Hello? Coming up with a reasonably good black and white mode, with
built-ins for filtering, toning, is BAD? Boy, some people have really
weird ideas of what's good and what's bad. One of the features that I
think actually distinguishes the Olympus C8080 8 mgp  P&S is the fact
that it HAS a built-in black and white mode that produces good black and
white; and I am praying that the next iteration of the E-1 has it.

The good thing about what so many of you deride as "auto everything"
cameras is that they HAVE these features, which one can use, or not, as
one chooses. If you want to use the new Canon 20D as a manual focus,
meterless, single shot, color-only camera - you can, for God's sake. If
you want to turn everything but finding the subject and framing over to
the camera, you can do that too.

Reading this kind of nonsense I can't help but be reminded that some of
the same people who now rave about the M7 as the ultimate Leica M used
to rail about the idiocy of having any exposure automation in an M - AE,
they'd say, what a pathetic joke! And now they love it. Ah well...