Subject: [Leica] Shakleton Photos Faked
From: kitmc at vuelux.com (Kit McChesney | Vuelux)
Date: Sun Aug 22 08:23:47 2004

Rei--

Well, true, the article was more balanced than what the headline would lead
one to believe. But I do find this section disturbing, especially after
seeing a PBS (public television here in the US) special on Shackleton, which
used photographs of the expedition to give its history (very well done,
too!):

"The well-known image of Shackleton's departing open boat is one of those
later embellished in the dark room by the addition of a brooding cloudscape,
according to the team behind the documentary. The picture is a key element
in the detail of a heroic rescue mission. After 326 days trapped in the ice,
Endurance was crushed in the melting spring ice. The 28-man crew lived for
five months on the ice, then made a perilous seven-day journey to the
nearest land mass, where they were left by Shackleton and two others, who
went for help.

The picture of Shackleton's crew, marooned on Elephant Island, joyfully
greeting their returning leader is also a piece of historical fakery. It
was, in fact, a picture taken at the time of Shackleton's departure." And
then the article goes on with your quoted comment,  "Howard admits Hurley
was 'very good at manipulating' images, but he says there was always a good
reason. 'He would superimpose images, but I don't think he ever tried to
alter the outcome.'"

I would say that given the gravity of the situation at the point when
Shackleton left the men at Elephant Island--it was a very desperate scene
and no one knew if anyone would ever return to rescue them, and several of
the men were sick and injured at that point--that a fake such as this one is
a little hard to accept.

At the same time, one has to remember, too, that the standards for "truth"
in image-making, esp regarding "photojournalism," were not exactly all that
well-established in 1914. After all, photography was still a pretty young
sport at that time, and aesthetically, still very much influenced by the
painting tradition. I guess we could cut Hurley a little slack!

Kit