Subject: [Leica] Re:Do you like a rookie [R-D1]? :was decline in LUG membership
From: mikiro at yahoo.fr (MIKIRO)
Date: Sun Aug 22 04:42:02 2004

Hi, Richard,

The range-finder is accurate enough as far as I have used 35/2 and
50/2.8 at wide open, but I myself have not yet tried faster lenses. The
physical base-length of R-D1 range-finder is 38.2mm, while that of Leica
M is 69.2mm. Thus, in theory, R-D1 (1x) is as accurate as 0.58x M
cameras. One photographer who uses R-D1 extensively told me that he only
occasionally fails in focusing with 35mm at f1.4 but quite often with
90mm at f2.8.

The sound of the metalic vertical travel shutter of R-D1 has a higher
pitch and may not be as quiet as that of M. It is nonetheless
comfortable to my ears and helps create a rhythm in taking pictures. In
this respect, I prefer R-D1 to Hexar RF and Contax G2. It is a matter of
taste, though.

The buffer memory takes two RAW images. Writing data to my SD card
(Sandisk) takes four seconds for one image and six seconds for two. With
JPG, you do not have to wait in real shooting.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

MIKIRO
Japan