Subject: [Leica] Re:Do you like a rookie [R-D1]? :was decline in LUG membership
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man)
Date: Sat Aug 21 17:00:24 2004

At 07:50 AM 8/21/2004, mikiro@yahoo.fr wrote:
>R-D1 is larger, heavier, and, most importantly, more solid than Bessa R2.
>Indeed, if you have a close look, you will find that it shares only a few
>parts with Bessa. The 1x viewfinder is at least as clear as that of Bessa
>R2. The shutter is much quieter. The shutter charge lever is a unique
>feature of this camera and makes you feel that you use a mechanical film
>camera. It is much smoother than the film advance lever of Bessa. Even in
>a single shooting session, you can use R-D1 and M cameras interchangeably
>with no stress.

Hi Mikiro, how do you find the rangefinder focusing accuracy? Many of the
early pictures on the web seem to be misfocused but look like it may be
just due to the shooters? Also, the R-D1 has a short RF base, but I believe
someone says the 1x viewfinder makes it effectively much longer. Is that
the case?

How quiet is the shutter subjectively, say, compare to the M?

>In terms of image quality, R-D1 is in the same league with my Pentax *istD
>(and probably other D-SLRs with similar sensors). In-camera jpg images
>look a bit dull, and RAW may give you additional details. The colour is
>very neutral. Epson people aim that its images reveal characters of lenses
>by minimising filters and retouches in the camera. In this respect they
>seem to be successful. More work will be needed to confirm it.

How fast can you take RAW pictures? Does it have a larger enough buffer so
that you basically don't need to worry about it?

Thanks!

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from mikiro at yahoo.fr (MIKIRO) ([Leica] Re:Do you like a rookie [R-D1]? :was decline in LUG membership)