Subject: [Leica] Shadow noise in scans
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 15 06:41:17 2004

Peter,
You are seeing a normal artifact of scanning in single pass mode.  If
your scanner allows it, perform a multi pass scan and most of the shadow
noise will go away.  If your scanner does not allow a multi pass scan
then you might try performing two scans with the density shifted so that
you can overlay the two images, the noise should tend to cancel out.

What your scanner is doing is displaying "darknoise" taking random
firings from the CCD when there is no other information to process.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com