Subject: [Leica] more questions
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Aug 12 22:38:00 2004

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> Digital does not give you higher quality than film in this day and age.
> The only advantages of digital are:
>
> 1) convenience.
> 2) price -- once one has paid off the $$$ cameras and computer
> equipment  and factoring expense of film.

I am not sure about that. For B&W for sure. But for color images,
especially at higher ISO speeds, I find my 10D superior to film.

As for the economics, I have had to buy no new computer equipment to
switch to a DSLR. Even the card reader I already had, since my wife has
been using P&S digitals for the past few years.

And finally: to say that there have been no improvements in quality
since the early 90s is rubbish. Both on film side and on the digital
side there have been huge improvements. Yes, some films that people were
not buying have been discontinued--Kodak and Fuji and the others are not
charities devoted to serving the 17 people in the world who want to
shoot Ektar 25 or whatever. But other emulsions have been introduced,
for example Fuji Provia 400F, the first usable slide film over 200 ISO.
And I don't think I need to talk about improvements on the digital side.
Three years ago I did not think I would ever buy a digital camera. Now I
have one. And I can assure you that my quality standards have not
declined during those 3 years.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman