Subject: [Leica] pga and digital back R8
From: leicaman at lakebreeze.org (Gary Klein)
Date: Thu Aug 12 22:17:26 2004

I have been reading all your posts with great interest.  But haven't had
time to post until now due to the PGA championship at Whistling Straits a
few miles from my house.  I have been the main picture toner for all the art
coming in from our group of photogs and its a daunting task with multiple
deadlines, people shooting with different cameras (Nikons and Canon files
arive it seems by the minute), different exposure ideas and so forth. Many
of the photos are pretty easy to prep for the press, and of course there are
a few that are a tad more challenging.  At least the photo editors at the
scene at the course have been sending me untouched files, which makes things
a ton easier for me.

As I will have 12 hour days this week, I don't expect to see much in the
line of Leica M time this week.   Maybe this weekend to relax I will shoot
some stuff with the M.

I read with interest the digital threads re the Leica R8.  In some ways it
will be a touch more simple than the autofocus bodies because, you will do
it like we have always done it.  Grab the focus ring and get the job done.
That R8 digital back is certainly a narrow market product. There is a pro
friend of mine who still has his complete Leica R system and I am sure he
will bite.

When the Leica M digital comes to light, I probably will check one out if it
doesn't come in at a price that will cause me to put my first born up for
sale.  It is not the fact of doing digital or anything that makes me want to
buy one, its being able to have a quiet discreet camera for those times when
you want to be the fly on the wall.

I just hope they will have decent fairly noise free high ISO speeds on it.
Time will tell of course as always.

gck