Subject: [Leica] more questions
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Aug 12 19:41:44 2004

I frequently recommend Leica's to people.  The trick is to know what
that individual wants out of the camera.

The reasons my latest suggestee bought one are:
Film is pretty cheap, negatives last a really long time with little or
no special treatment in the modern first world home, quality is still
better at the margins, no battery hassles if you haven't used your
camera in a while, relatively small and quiet even with a 35, 50, 90
outfit, joy of using a really well designed machine, no time to screw
with digital files (three children, busy work life, horses to share with
the children).

I will repeat some statements I keep making every year or so.  For the
average family shooting twenty or fewer rolls of film a year, why would
you ever switch to digital?  The big chains sell film for $1.20 a roll
in multipacks 24 exposure, the major chains will process your film in a
Frontier lab for $3.99 to $6.99 a roll depending on your timetable, at
the $6.99 price point they will buy back prints.  You end up with images
you can give your mother and she can put them in a frame or show them to
her friends.

Film does a much better job at delivering an image when you are ten feet
beyond your flashes range, does a much better job at a 300% crop to get
to the subject of the image assuming a normal 4-5mp consumer camera.
With decent prints in your hand you have a long lasting memory that your
children can find in your attic and actually do something with as
opposed to a CD or even a metal box with Seagate 120 gigabyte on a faded
label.

None of the above makes any sense to a working pro or to many of our
family here for whom images are an extremely important part of their
life.  But we are the crazy ones.  We spend the price of a used car on a
lens and body.  Most people are truly happy with the pictures from the
$3.99 disposable bought at the drugstore.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com