Subject: [Leica] PAW: Tokyo Night Scenes
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Thu Aug 5 18:23:33 2004

>Hi Karen,
>Very interesting material and fine exposures all round.  But? Even though
>I'm a great believer in B&W photography I can't imagine shooting night
>scenes in Tokyo in B&W. Particulalrly in the Ginza!
>
>Given how well lit the Ginza is, almost like daylight with a million various
>coloured lights and reflections no matter which way one looks? Why did you
>choose B&W and not colour?

Ted -

Good question! There's the technical and the artistic. The technical
was that I wasn't sure what type of light I was going to encounter. I
usually do daytime street, so the fastest color I normally carry is
400 (NPZ and Provia 400F). I wanted to be able to push several stops
without problems. Also, I knew with B&W that I'd be better able to
handle the contrast problems.

The artistic is that everyone shoot Tokyo at night with color. My
compatriorts were both using digital, I  wanted to do something
different.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura