Subject: [Leica] WAS: Nathan's PAW 31: NOW: Digital ARCHIVING
From: aalmansi at yahoo.com (Aquiles Almansi)
Date: Tue Aug 3 09:23:06 2004

Ted,

I regularly "record" to slides many of the digital
files I have obtained by scanning film at 4000 ppi and
editing with PS. Exactly as you have observed, this
adds an extra film-based copy of the "final" image,
which can be expected to outlast any digital copy.
There is no, however, such a thing as a free lunch:
when one records a digital image on film, one is
adding at least one extra step in the reproduction
chain leading to the final print, with the consequent
loss in quality (similarly to what happens when one
makes a copy of an original slide).

best regards,

=====
Aquiles Almansi