Subject: [Leica] WAS: Nathan's PAW 31: NOW: Digital ARCHIVING
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Tue Aug 3 13:37:29 2004

Ted Grant wrote:

> Nathan said:
>
> So digital archiving aspect?
>
> As we know at the moment, film has greater archived life span than digital
> and that being the case, why not save the finest of our digital photographs
> in similar fashion? Burn them to CD and have film "negatives " made as we
> make positive slides?
>
> Then we have the archival value of a film negative as well as a digital on
> CD, DVD, whatever? Being the rookie I am in all this digital stuff maybe
> I've completely overlooked the main point why this wont work. Because
> surely
> a much smarter person than I would've come up with it a long time ago.
>
> So would or would it not work as an archival possibility? And if not, why
> not?
>
> ted

Hi Ted,

Sounds a bit strange to me. Shoot digital, convert to film because that
keeps longer?
Why not shoot film right away and scan if you need a digital copy? Best
archival quality right away and saves the hassle of burning cd's:-) Dust
of your M7's and there you go!

Michiel

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] WAS: Nathan's PAW 31: NOW: Digital ARCHIVING)