Subject: [Leica] Born At Risk...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Aug 1 21:08:20 2004

Very well put, Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+bdcolen=earthlink.net@leica-users.org
Peter Klein
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 3:07 PM
To: lug@leica-users.org
Subject: RE: [Leica] Born At Risk...

B. D.:  You've just articulted an unsung General Principle of
Photography
that the pixel peepers have never grokked.  Stated simply, "Sufficiently

enlarged, all photos looks like crap. And so what?"

The issue is not what a photo looks like if you magnify it way beyond
what
anyone can normally see. The issue is how all those crappy-looking
grains
or squares combine in our optic nerves and brains to create the complete

picture, when viewed at a reasonable viewing distance.

The best education in all this is to go to any art museum.  Look at some

Impressionist or Pointillist paintings.  But first, look at them from
across the room.  Only when you've fully taken in the whole picture, go
right up to the painting and look at the individual brush strokes.  Then

you see how the parts create the whole.  Next, repeat the exercise with
large prints in a photo gallery.

When I first got my film scanner, the first thing I did was blow the
digital files up to 2x and 3x actual pixels on the screen.  I was
shocked
at all the little random color speckles and grains I saw.  I was
dismayed
that what looked like pin-sharp details on a print were fuzzy
impressions
at 3x.  It took me a while to realize that if I couldn't see such things
in
the print, at proper viewing distance, they didn't matter.  They were
all
in my photography before, it's just that it was not so easy to see them
blown up out of all proportion.

I think it was easier to appreciate this fact in the darkroom.  You got
your overall impression of the print in the trays.  If you got too
close,
you'd be snorting fixer.

Now, there are levels above which the fuzzies and the grains and the
speckles detract from the print.  And when they are just below the
threshold of visibility, these small building blocks do contribute to
the
texture and "look" of the picture.  Each one of us has our own ideas
about
what that critical level is, and what look we like.

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA