Subject: [Leica] Bad Day
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 06:33:45 2004

When I was going to college we had a storm come through and a huge
Eucalyptus tree fell hitting a parked car right down the length of the car.
Quite impressive, but not a happy owner.  Tina, we have mostly Oak trees in
our property, and have had to have 5 cut down in the past few years from
Oak Rot.  A real pity as they all were in the 75 to 100 ft range.  We have
a gigantic Oak which is the center piece of our front yard.  Unfortunately
it has had much damage from critters and will probably need to come down,
however I keep putting it off as the tree is so nice.  It will cost a
fortune to have it cut down also. ;-)  I have been told the Oak Rot spreads
through the roots to other Oaks once it has taken hold in the area.  This
does not bode well for my trees as most are Oaks.  The best defense is to
cut down the infected tree.  The bad part is that having these old very
tall Oaks cut down is very expensive, $600 to over $1000 per tree,
depending on the tree.  I can see a $10,000 bill if all my Oaks become
infected. ;-(

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>             |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           07/29/2004 07:32 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->

At 08:23 PM 7/29/2004, you wrote:

>Not a good day for our neighbors just back from Hawaii! And, to boot,
>it's a tree owned by the City.
>
>Not high art but definately good for a racing pulse.
>
>Adam

Ouch!  It's amazing to see how few roots the tree pulled up.  I guess they
snapped off.  We have a huge oak tree in our front yard that has a spot of
oak-tree-rot on the side.  The county extension agent says nothing can be
done to cure the tree.  I'm afraid every time we have a storm that it will
crash into my office here on the second floor.  I would hate to lose the
ancient tree that shades our whole yard, but we may have to have it cut
down - especially after seeing photos like this.  My tree is about twice
that big!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com