Subject: [Leica] Re: fear and loathing on the campaign trail 2004
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Thu Jul 29 11:11:34 2004

The only time I had a "run-in" with a Secret Service agent, I was actually
surprised by how friendly he was.

I was covering a speech by Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun for my
college paper.  I was shooting from the steps up on the side of the stage
and the Secret Service guy stepped back a little to let me get a better
angle (without me even asking).  Later I wanted to get an angle including
some of the audience, so I tried heading up onto the stage.  My progress
around the Secret Service guy was abruptly stopped when he placed his
(surprising firm) hand square in the middle of my chest.  He leant over and
whispered something like "Sorry, you can't shoot from the stage."  But it
was the way he said it: respectfully, with a smile, and without blame or
anger.  Of course the message of his hand on my chest was still very clear:
I wasn't going to be going past him!  I came away with a great deal of
respect for him; he had done his job well while still acting like a decent
guy.

Of course, he wasn't guarding the president, which I'm sure is a whole
'nother bag of worms.

>Eric said:
> > And for the secret service?  Keep pushing their funny bones.  They'll
> > come
> > unstuck.  :)<<<<<<

and Ted replied

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: fear and loathing on the campaign trail 2004)