Subject: [Leica] Re: aerial photography
From: jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB)
Date: Mon Jul 26 14:14:54 2004

I've taken a lot of photographs out of Cessna 172's, 182's, and 210's for
publication in scenic books. My son was the pilot. You need nothing than
yourself, your camera, and some film.

Cessna 172 windows are split horizontally. While on the ground, remove the
little screw lock that keeps the window from opening all the way out. This
way the window can be pushed all the way open.

My son was the pilot for all of my aerial photos (over the Bay Area and
CA). He's 6'4" and his arms are long enough so that when I was ready to
photograph, he reached around me and held the window open. He also put the
plane in an attitude that made the wing strut not be in the way. Basically
I told him what I wanted to photograph and he set the plane up so that I
had a clear view of that area. All of my photos were using Velvia 50, Leica
R7, 35-70mm zoom usually set between 35mm and 50mm depending upon the area
needed to be covered.

You don't lean on the door when photographing as this will vibrate you and
the camera. Simply point the camera out the window and photograph away. You
can touch the door, just don't use it as a steady rest because it isn't
steady. I think I shot at 1/250 @ f/8 for most scenics. Sometimes 1/125 @
f/11 when flying low and needing more DOF.

Everything I ever shot from a plane came out perfectly. It is actually one
of the simplest photographic endeavors. If the sun is out, it's sunny-16
for exposure. Your body, arms, and hands make a great vibration dampener so
as long as you don't lean your arms tightly on the door, everything will be
cool.

If you don't have someone who can hold the window open, take something that
you can use to prop it open. If you find a pilot (try the Palo Alto
airport) who regularly takes folks up for photos, this problem will be
solved. And you can spend yet more money and find someone with a Cessna 210
which has no wing struts to deal with.

Also, Cessnas can be flown sans door. So you can ask to have the door
removed which will give you a truly unimpeded view. But wear a parka!

JB

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] No babes in bikinis...)
Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Domke 802)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re: aerial photography)