Subject: [Leica] Re: FYI: legal press release
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri Jul 23 19:25:06 2004

Let me add my wishes for success.  I guess I was lucky; I'm 82 now
and survived at Apple until the great layoff of 1997.  However, under
it's new enlightened management, two senior people, at least one of
whom had worked for Apple for 20 years were let go for no reason
other than political.  One of them holds many patents and had a
salary in the six digits.  The other I know less about except that at
one time he was my department manager.  Both of these guys were
simultaneously put on probation and given tasks to be completed in
one month that couldn't possibly be done.  Then, the company got cold
feet, probably feared an age discrimination suit, and took them off
probation, played cat and mouse with them for several months, and
finally laid them off. By this time both of them were so shell
shocked that they signed statements that they would not sue Apple in
exchange for something like a miserable two months of benefits.

I'm still slightly employed, but I donate my time.  I'm a docent at
the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA.  Go visit it.  It's
a blast.
--
Herbert Kanner, Ph.D.  CPSR Secretary  email: kanner@acm.org
                                     Tel:  650-326-8204

"Question authority and the authorities will question you."

PGP fingerprint:
ADDB 9384 17EC 35BC 95C2  CEDD 3C00 9B67 E953 C038

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR) is an
organization that addresses the benefits and risks to society resulting
from the use of computers.  For information, please visit our Web page at
http://www.cpsr.org