Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital M
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Jul 13 23:31:39 2004

I was chief engineer at Lola from 1997 to 2002. I can ASSURE you that
the manufacturing cost of a Champ car is about $400,000, less if there
is a formula change and twice as many cars need building. The big costs
US motor racing are the salaries and the owner's jet, not the cars (a
top team would run 7 cars by the way plus spares). The demise of CART
had to do with politics not costs. IRL is politically successful even
though the cars, due to the tech rules, are awful, and more expensive
by the time all the necessary "kits" are added to the base car. It is
very sad CART was a great series of racing but the political power lay
elsewhere and at least 2 very powerful people moved to squash it.
cheers
Frank