Subject: [Leica] Leica Digital M LCD Monitor
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jul 11 15:08:34 2004

Greg Locke offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Digital M LCD Monitor

 > If you are looking at histograms and other data while trying to make
> pictures you will never make decent pictures. It's no different then doing
> those stupid focusing formulas.
>
> If you can't take a picture, a histogram ain't going to help you. Most
> people on this list have been taking pictures long before we ever knew
> what a histogram was.<<<<<

Well now Pilgrim I know what that is. It's an operation a woman has
sometimes! A histogram. Isn't it? ;-)

> Photography is pretty simple actually.
> Set the exposure, focus the lens, compose, and push the button.
> We've been doing it a long time. Anything that gets in the middle of this
> system or otherwise complicates the issue will actually degrade the
> spontaneity and "decisive moment of photography.
>
> That's it!! It doesn't matter if its film, digital or Liquid Light on
Swiss
> cheese.<<<<<<,

Hi Greg,
Right on mon ami!! If one get's off on all the techie twidding things I
suppose it's great to know. But sometimes techie stuff doesn't do a damn
thing for the ability of the photographer to take instinct ... "this is the
moment.... click!" photos. Oh yes of course there are some points that
assist. However, me being techie challenged I can't think of one.

Start twiddling those histie things and other mystical twiddling knobs,
pushing buttons and you'll find what you were going to shoot will now be in
a film photographer's camera or developed.

For all my years of shooting manual cameras and now using the Digilux 2,
with a Canon G5 back-up, I've a far greater success rate by setting
everything on automatic and having the greatest time of snapping away.

While "chimping!" later looking at the results.

If one puts all the techie stuff aside and uses a digital camera as a camera
and never mind what the chip covers or doesn't cover just use the damn
machine in your hands, shut-up and have fun taking pictures! You'll find
photography is still a great deal of fun and satisfaction.

However, constantly thinking about the size of the chip, shutter delay and
the many other attendant issues and you'll be one miserable photog!

Look we all understand the chip thing for recording isn't perfect at the
moment, so big deal. Besides it's not likely any of you are going to have a
new Leica digital body in hand within the next little while. So why not stop
the damn whining, use what the hell you have and take some pictures with
what ever kind of image capturing device you have i hand!" Is that so hard
to understand!

Have a nice time taking pictures at whatever venue in life you choose. :-)
With whatever camera you own, film or digital...
ted