Subject: [Leica] Digital M
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Sun Jul 11 11:49:41 2004

Actually, Nikon has stated publically that it has no intention of developing
the "full frame sensor" and will concentrate on lens develop to maximize the
current sensor.

As a big part of their market is pro newspaper and wires service
photographers the added focal lengths are a benefit.

Myself I would prefer the full sensor because I am beginning to notice that
perspectives, aspect ratios and DOF of the current Nikon cameras just don't
correspond to film cameras either.

It took me a year to figure out exactly why I couldn't "see" the same frame
in digital as film.

I'm at a stage where I use digital alongside film and its not nice.
The company that can make the film-digital transition seamless and
unnoticable will be making a breakthrough for those to shoot both ....which
is most pros. That, short of some optical trickery, will require a full
frame sensor.

That said I have recently met a couple of young news photoraphers who have
NEVER shot a roll of film professionally arfter first year college. They
came out of school and went into all digital shops.

Times have changed but the new tools still ain't perfect.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com

 ----JUST RELEASED-------
NEWFOUNDLAND ...journey into a lost nation
by Greg Locke and Michael Crummey
McClelland and Stewart
ISBN # 0-7710-6142-0
http://www.straylight.ca/newfoundland