Subject: [Leica] Dimes For Hunger
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Jul 10 22:29:04 2004

While I certainly admire Tina's commitment to helping the people of
Honduras and her personal effort, I have to throw in a bit of cynicism
here. I am sure that her work makes a real difference to the lives of
the people directly involved and to their villages/communities. However,
  as an economist (yes, sometimes the old mindset bubbles back up) I
tend to look at the bigger picture. And the bigger picture is that while
we in the rich countries with one hand give foreign aid on both
governmental and NGO (like Tina) levels, with the other hand we are
undermining the economies of the third world with our trade and subsidy
policies. The most heavily subsidized and protected sectors in the US
and Europe are precisely those in which poor countries would have an
advantage: agriculture above all, but also light manufacturing such as
textiles. For example, in the US sugar producers in Florida are
subsidized and protected by high tariffs; in the European Union the
insance Common Agricultural Policy subsidizes inefficient local
production, and the resulting surplus is then dumped on the world
markets, destroying trade and development possibilities for African
countries.

So, if you *really* want to help countries like Honduras, write to your
Congressperson/MP etc. and tell them to abolish all import duties on
agricultural products and subsidies to domestic farmers. This would have
a much bigger impact than any amount of foreign aid. Obviously, given
our political systems (I am talking both sides of the Atlantic here)
this is not likely to happen in the short term. On an individual level,
what you can do is vote with your wallet. When you go shopping, buy
products from those countries; also, buy things like Max Havelaar ("fair
  trade") bananas or coffee which guarantee that a much slice of the
money you pay in the supermarket is passed on to the ultimate
producer/farmer in Central/South America or Africa.

Again, I wish in no way to belittle or minimize the noble effort done by
Tina and her organization, but wanted to put a broader perspective on it.

It is amazing how quickly poor countries can become richer if their
governments follow the right policies and if they are given the
opportunities. I have travelled to Andalucia, the poorest part of Spain
(along with the Extremadura) weekly for the past year. Thirty years ago
Spain was a backwards country, ruled by an old fascist dictator, with a
closed economy. People would look for every opportunity to emigrate to
Northern Europe to take the menial jobs that the locals did not want
(remember Manuel in Fawlty Towers?). Today Spain is a modern country,
with a per capita income close to the EU average, and has become a net
recipient of immigrants. Of course it has been lucky: Franco died in
1975, the country went on to develop an admirable democracy, entry into
the EU in 1982 provided large amounts of regional aid, etc. But the
single biggest factor was access to the largest single market in the
world, which spurred development of competitive Spanish business and the
subsequent rise in the standard of living.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Dimes For Hunger)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Dimes For Hunger)
Message from jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB) ([Leica] Re: Background music for slide shows)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Background music for slide shows)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Dimes For Hunger)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Dimes For Hunger)