Subject: [Leica] B&W Films/Developers
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 09:52:55 2004

We had an exhibit of Adams work here in Cedar Rapids a year ago, yes, even
here in Small Town USA we seem to get some of the good stuff.  One of the
really interesting things about the exhibit was that there were several
variations of selected photos.  These showed how he changed the printing of
the photos over the years.  The variations showed how his vision toward the
images changed over the years and how you looked at his images. It was a
very interesting exhibit and I learned a lot from viewing the variations on
his work.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>              |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           06/30/2004 10:30 AM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
               |
  |       cc:
               |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Leica] B&W Films/Developers
               |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Mark-
I saw an article about Adams, and from the illustration, it seemed that
looking at his negative they looked almost black; I would assume he
developed them until the curve was WAY up on the shoulder; That would
obviate any 'mottling'!. It would also lessened the contrast range. The
article told of the fellow who did his prints (must be nice to have a
trusted companion to do the scut work!) and used a guide Adams marked on
the
sleeves where things were to be dodged, and burned- he indicated it took a
loooong time to get a print. Both from the heavy density, and from the fact
that Adams was very particular about what went out of the darkroom.
Dan