Subject: [Leica] PAW 26
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun Jun 27 21:26:39 2004

Ah, that naturists!

Years ago, I marched with a group that followed the naturists.  As we
approached the Flatiron building (at 23rd Street and Fifth Avenue), one of
my marching companions noted that this point marked the origin of the old
phrase, "23-skidoo".  Evidently the Flatiron building helped form a man-made
wind channel, which would blow up ladies' skirts.  Men would gather at 23rd
street for this thrill.

Motioning to the naturists, I replied, "Guess this isn't a major concern
today."

Today I marched the route in honor of two friends, Curtis Ether and Matt
Dittrich, deceased from AIDS-related causes.  They were devotees of the NYC
Pride Parade--and most certainly would have been present if mortality had
not intervened so dramatically.  I figured that the Human Rights Campaign
fund could always use a few more marchers.  What I didn't expect was a call
to action: they asked me to lead the group and hold their banner.  It was
quite a bit of work shooting Kodachrome with my M3 AND shlepping a banner
down 5th Avenue.

I'll also note that the Human Rights Campaign Fund banner did blow upwards
as we approached 23rd street.  It was a challenge keeping it from becoming
airborne.

My low-tech Leica shots will be posted when they're back from our friends in
Rochester.

Pass the Solarcaine,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA

PS  Still trying to get the remnants of a "Kerry for President" sticker off
the back door of the M3--the damn glue is holding up better than the
candidate.