Subject: [Leica] B&W Films/Developers
From: daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Jun 27 03:56:49 2004

Alastair and Walker,
I've settled on two developers: Xtol and Rodinal.

I only use Rodinal in one case: Agfa APX films (in medium format). I've
never had the time to nail down times for those films with Xtol and the
Rodinal times that Agfa publishes have worked just fine.

I've used APX because Fuji Neopan 400 disappeared from the shelves in
Scandinavia. I've been in touch with Fuji lately and they have a few
hundred rolls coming in July. I've put myself down for 100. I prefer
Neopan and was getting what I wanted with Xtol.

I've tried various dilutions of Xtol but have settled on 1:1. I don't like
going under 100ml per roll of 35 mm and 1:2 gives me about 80ml / 160ml.

I use Xtol for two reasons: 1) It's less toxic and I can dump it down the
drain with a good conscience and 2) it's easier to mix than D76. I'm not
very religious about it. It just works fine for me. A 5 liter batch is
comfortable. It's enough that I don't have to mix up new batches every
couple of weeks but it's not so much that I have to worry about storing
it. I use it up fast enough.

The way I agitate makes me feel better with just enough developer to cover
the reels with film. I have the same number of empty reels on top. When I
invert, the developer drains off of the film entirely and then the film is
covered with fresh solution when I "revert". I do this twice every 30
seconds.

I've been using Delta 400 after managing to get the shop to take back my
stock of "Tri-X" (TX400). They didn't have Neopan so I settled for
anything, anything other than the new TX400 (I don't feel comfortable
calling it Tri-X. It's not.) It might just be a combination with my
scanner that is not to my satisfaction. Others get very good results. I
couldn't figure out how with my own set-up.

It's pretty hard to mess things up with Neopan. It is about the most
forgiving film I've run across. I don't know how well it pushes. I've
never done that. I've used Neopan 1600 instead.

I've seen some results others get with TMAX 400 that I really like. It's
been years since I shot any.

I have a digital SLR but we've never become good friends. I think it's
because I prefer black and white. I use digital when it pays. I think a
small compact digital (Canon A70 or G5) would be loads of fun, but I'd
have to slip it in. I got one half-way in the house (bought it for my
daughter) but she uses it so much I never get a chance to. She's doing her
own PAW.

Best,
Daniel