Subject: [Leica] Tina and Her Computer: Lightening Strike!
From: ljkapner at cox.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Fri Jun 25 17:04:01 2004

This is another aspect of electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) phenomenon. Someone
wrote a science-fiction book about it a decade or so ago. Nuclear weapon air
bursts at strategic locations knocked out all unhardened defense and
communication sites, rendering us suddenly deaf, dumb and blind and unable
to operate our vehicles. Not to mention dead, too... I understand that
gallium arsenide circuits are resistant to EMP rendering them inoperable;
not so with conventional silicon.

I wonder if the CPU in my Digilux 2 is made of gallium arsenide? :-)

Len